My simple solution to monitor servers.
A friend of mine (yes I do have some) is the admin for a company that have a server room with lots of servers :-
- Windows file servers.
- Windows mail server running exchange.
- Linux server running their web sites.
- The list goes on………..
My solution to monitor these and report any problems was to use a Raspberry PI and a SMS module bought from Ebay, the PI also has a temperature and humidity sensor and runs a small internal web site.
A python script runs every minute and performs the following :
- Pings each servers network card.
- Attempts to connect to any special ports (SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS).
- Web scrapes several sites to check that they are up.
- Records the Temperature and humidity.
If there are any errors the PI attempts to email all the admins and me it will also send a SMS message to the admin users with a brief message.
Every day the PI Emails the admins with a basic report and a link the the data log.
Its has been running for 3 weeks now without any problems and has already detected several errors that normally would have gone unnoticed.